The turbine house was built in the 1880s on the site of an old mill, to supply the city with electricity. On March 2, 1884, the first electric lamps lit up Västerås Cathedral.
Following this event and under the impulse of Oskar Fredrik Wijkman (politician and industrial entrepreneur) that the city of Västerås provided the land, the capital and the electricity to the company Elektriska Aktiebolaget which settled in Västerås and became Asea in 1890.
With its three turbines, the power station produced electricity for Asea between 1890 and 1902. In 1902 the production having become insufficient, The Turbine House was returned to the city which used it as municipal power station until in 1950.
This small power station and the growth of Asea has been very important in the development of the city of Västerås.
The Turbine House became a museum in 1974 and produces its own electricity with its small power station of about 100 kilowatts.
The Turbine House is located on the Svartån river where it joins Lake Mälaren. A pretty little house in a neo-gothic style of which we don’t know the architect.